Vegan Shortening - Cocoa Butter Base
Shortening definitely has its place in vegan baking. From pie crusts, shortbreads and puff pastry, it’s a basic building block for texture. This solid fat is so integral to these types of desserts because it alters the way gluten is formed in baked items that utilize wheat-based flours. For more on the food science of shortening, check out my article on how to make vegan shortening.My original recipe for vegan shortening utilized a mixture of coconut oil and vegetable oil such as canola, light olive oil or rice bran oil. The coconut oil is solid at room temperature. When it’s mixed with a certain ratio of fats that are liquid at room temperature, a certain level of softness can be dialed in that makes it suitable to use as shortening. This recipe utilizes deodorized, also known as refined cocoa butter.
Why would you want to make your own shortening?
- The United States is one of the only places in the world where shortening can be found.
- Most of the shortening available in the US is derived from palm oil, which, as of this writing, is associated with environmental destruction in Sumatra.
- Much of the shortening commercially available has additives that you might want to choose to avoid.
- Making your own shortening allows you to unlock more creativity with your baked items. For example, if you want to add a layer of white chocolate or hazelnut flavor to your dessert, you could swap out some or all of the refined cocoa butter for unrefined cocoa butter and some or all of the canola oil with hazelnut oil. How about a hazelnut shortening that doesn’t resort to hazelnut extract for flavoring? Making your own Vegan Butter or Shortening and using hazelnut oil allows this to be possible! Toasted sesame oil in a vegetable pot pie crust? Why not?
What is Cocoa Butter?
Where do you find Cocoa Butter?
Why use Cocoa Butter?
Learn more about the melting temperatures of fats.
Vegan Shortening Recipe - Cocoa Butter Base
1) Melt and mix your fats
2) Transfer the Vegan Shortening to a mold and freeze
Get a price on the Ice Cube Tray I Recommend at Amazon.
Never would have thought it but it doesn't taste half bad
This is SOO good. 5 stars for sure!
I have no a clear idea about this recipe. But here now, I got an idea for this kind of recipe.
vegan shortening cocoa butter base
Sorry!!! That is just not true!! You can find ' shortening' otherwise known as VEGETABLE FAT...IN MOST places in the world. The 'American's' (and some other countries) call it shortening!!
Can grapeseed oil be substituted for canola oil?
hy and thank you for all the info!
i was forwardet to your site by the vegan meringue its and misses fb page, looking for the buttercreme recipes.
i don't understand yet why use a shortening instead of plain cocoa fat in the buttercream?
Comment on units
Just some feedback on the clarity of your measurements in your recipe. Many bakers prefer to measure in grams for accuracy. It appears there is an error in your conversion to grams, as well as mixing ml and g. Just choose one in your recipes, it may be confusing for readers.
Your listed recipe:
6 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons refined cocoa butter (72 grams)
9 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon (140 ml) canola, light olive oil or rice bran oil
If 3 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon, then the recipe is:
20 t cacao = 100g
28 t canola = 140g