Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
These Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies are no nonsense soft, chewy chocolate chip cookies like your vegan grandma used to make. Over the years I've learned a lot about the art of cookie making and these are simple to make but still pack lots of flavor into a chewy, chocolatey chippity package. The secret to this cookie recipe is having just the right ratio of fat, water and golden flax meal. The molasses also adds chewiness and the cinnamon adds a touch of flavor complexity. Finally, the way the cookies are formed results in just the right shape. These cookies are also great for ice cream sandwiches.
Find more Easy recipes on Veganbaking.net
Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe2 Tablespoons golden flax meal
3 Tablespoons water
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¾ cups + 2 Tablespoons (188 grams) or 1 ¾ sticks Regular Vegan Butter or margarine, room temperature
1 ½ cups sugar
2 teaspoons molasses
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1) Prepare your flax gel mixturePreheat your oven to 350F (177C). In a small bowl whisk together the flax meal and the water. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes so the mixture thickens. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2) Whisk together the dry ingredientsIn a medium mixing bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon until well incorporated. Set aside. For a Holiday twist, add a ½ teaspoon cardamom here as well.
3) Cream the Vegan Butter and other ingredientsIn another medium mixing bowl cream the Vegan Butter and sugar until well mixed. Beat in the flax meal mixture from step 1 followed by the molasses and vanilla extract.
4) Mix the vegan cookie doughAdd the flour mixture from Step 2 and mix until just incorporated. The dough will be thicker than traditional non-vegan cookie dough so don't be afraid to use your hands to mix it together if you need to. Stir in the chocolate chips.
5) Transfer the cookie dough to the sheets and bake to perfectionForm the dough into 1 ½ inch balls. Place them on the cookie sheet so they're spaced about 2 to 3 inches apart. Bake for 15 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through the baking duration. These cookies will not turn golden as they bake so it's important to pay attention to the baking time. Cookies will store in an air tight container at room temperature for about one week or in a freezer bag in the freezer for up to six months. This recipe makes about 22 to 24 Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Get a price on the Baking Sheet I Recommend at Amazon.
Very close to the real thing
Overall, I was impressed by these cookies. Obviously there is a textural difference between them and cookies made with real butter and eggs, but a great option for your vegan guests!
I'll be honest, normally anything with "vegan" in it turns me off just because I anything but a vegan. But I a will admit I have allowed my perspectives become more open lately, so I made these cookies, followed the recipe to a "T" and they were surprisingly very good!!
Hello! I recently went vegan and i'm loving it so far. I definitely want to try out this recipe! It looks so Delicious.
Good recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies....
OMG these are PERFECT
I have been vegan for 4 + years now and I still haven't found a chocolate chip cookie recipe I can rely on. Until today!!! I found this recipe today and knew I had to go home and try it. So I did! The only things I did different were: to use 160 grams of Earth Balance (because I didn't soften enough) and just added 2-3 TBS of applesauce to supplement, I added some more chocolate chips because I am obsessed with chocolate and did 1 tsp molasses and 1/4 cup brown sugar (reduced regular sugar by 1/4 cup to balance it out). But seriously, these have a great texture, don't spread like flat crepes and are classic tasting. No one would know the difference. I always put my dough and pan in the fridge to chill it too, which I learned years ago while researching the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe (pre-vegan). THank you!!!!!
I made an account just to rate this recipe. These cookies are amazing!!!!!! I changed a few things: Swapped the regular flour to whole wheat, the sugar and the molasses to organic turbinado sugar and the butter to melted coconut oil with some water. So so so good and chewy! I made them to my nephew, sister and her husband (all omnivores) and they all loved it! Definitely a hit!
Oh my goodness!
I rarely take the time to write reviews (seems like there is always something else to do), but I HAD to stop and comment on this recipe. My son has milk/egg allergies. We are always looking for good vegan recipes. This is the best cookie we have had in a long time. It is pretty unusual for us to like vegan over non-vegan, but my husband and I agree these win hands down. And I have never made a cookie that is better on day three, but these seem to improve over time! I baked the second and third batches for only 14 minutes since the pan was already hot. Wow. It's so hard to eat just one!
Top 500 Reviewer
View all my reviews (1)
I've been vegan since April and I have tried a lot of cookie recipes but they always ended up more cake like than cookie. These were truly delicious and chewy!! Great job :).