These Vegan Sugar Cookies are perfect for the Holidays or any time you feel like treating yourself. This recipe is on the shortbread side of things so they're nice and crispy. They can be rolled and cut with cookie cutters or pressed out of a cookie press. Dust them with coarse sugar, cinnamon, cardamom or all three if you're feeling frisky.
Vegan Sugar Cookies Recipe1/3 cup water
2 Tablespoons golden flax meal
3 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 cup Regular Vegan Butter or margarine
2 cups powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons non-dairy milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
¾ teaspoon salt
1) Prepare the egg replacer mixturePreheat oven to 350F (177C). In a small bowl whisk together the water and flax meal.
2) Whisk together the dry ingredientsIn a medium size mixing bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder.
3) Build the cookie doughIn another medium mixing bowl mix the Vegan Butter and powdered sugar together until well mixed. Mix in the water and flax meal mixture from step 1 and the non-dairy milk, vanilla extract, almond extract and salt until well mixed.
4) Mix the cookie doughAdd half of the dry ingredients to the bowl containing the wet ingredients and mix. Then add the other half and mix until well incorporated.
5) Cut the vegan cookies to size and bake to perfection
If making cookies with a cookie cutterTransfer the dough to a work surface. Shape into 2 discs, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour.
On a lightly floured baking surface, roll out the dough to ¼ inch thickness. Cut into cookies with cookie cutters and transfer to a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake about 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Dust with sugar and cinnamon or cardamom.
If making cookies with a cookie pressPlace the dough in the cookie press. Press out the cookies into desired shapes onto a cookie sheet. To ensure that the cookies stick to the cookie sheet after being pressed out of the cookie press, do not line the cookie sheet with parchment paper. Bake about 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Dust with sugar and cinnamon or cardamom.
Depending on the size of your cookie cutter, this recipe makes about 15 to 20 Vegan Sugar Cookies.