Sticky Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
This Sticky Vegan Cinnamon Roll recipe features brown sugar, maple syrup and just the right amount of cinnamon, making them moist and chewy. And if that's not enough, these vegan cinnamon rolls are topped with walnuts, raisins then drizzled with icing to make them an irresistible treat any time of day.
Find more Cinnamon recipes on Veganbaking.net
Sticky Vegan Cinnamon Roll Recipe
For the dough3 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon golden flax meal
1 cup + 2 Tablespoons warm water
2 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
⅓ cup (71 grams) Regular Vegan Butter or stick margarine, melted
1 teaspoon salt
For the filling¾ cup + 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
¼ cup Regular Vegan Butter or stick margarine, softened
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
2 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
¼ cup walnuts chopped
¼ cup raisins
For the icingVegan Vanilla Icing
1) Whisk together the water and flax mealIn a small mixing bowl, whisk together the 3 Tablespoons water and the flax meal. Set aside.
2) Activate the yeastIn another small mixing bowl, whisk together the warm water and the yeast. Allow the mixture to sit for about 10 minutes so the yeast activates.
3) Prepare your flourAdd the flour to a medium mixing bowl.
4) Whisk together the flavor buildersIn another medium mixing bowl add the sugar, Vegan Butter, salt and whisk until well incorporated.
5) Mix the doughAdd the flax meal mixture from Step 1 and the yeast mixture from Step 2 to the bowl containing the sugar and Vegan Butter mixture. Whisk until well combined. Add these wet ingredients to the bowl containing the flour and stir until the dough comes together into a sticky ball.
6) Knead the vegan cinnamon roll doughLightly dust a clean surface with flour and knead the mixture for 5 to 10 minutes. The dough should be firm and smooth, not sticky. Place the dough back into the mixing bowl, cover and place in a warm place like on top of the stove for 1 hour. After 1 hour has passed, knead the dough for about 30 seconds and let it rest for 10 more minutes.
7) Whisk together the filling ingredientsIn a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, Vegan Butter, maple syrup and cinnamon. Set aside.
8) Spread the filling onto the doughRoll the dough into a flat 16 x 20 inch rectangle. Spread the Vegan Butter, sugar and cinnamon mixture evenly on top using a dough scraper or spatula.
9) Roll up the doughCarefully roll up the dough lengthwise so it's 16 inches long. Cut it into 1 ½ inch sections with a sharp knife.
10) Form the vegan cinnamon rolls and allow them to proofPreheat the oven to 400F (204C). Place the rolls close together, cut side up in a lightly greased 9x13 glass or ceramic baking dish. This will ensure that the rolls don't unravel during baking. Sprinkle the walnuts and raisins over them. Cover with plastic wrap and let the buns rise for one more hour.
11) Prepare the icingPrepare the Vanilla Icing and set aside.
12) Bake your vegan cinnamon rolls to perfectionBake until the cinnamon rolls are just starting to turn golden, about 15 minutes, rotating the dish halfway through the baking duration. Pour the icing on the warm rolls before serving. You may want to heat the icing up a little so it can easily be poured.
This recipe makes about 12 Sticky Vegan Cinnamon Rolls.
Get a price on the 9 x 13 Inch Baking Dish I Recommend at Amazon.
I will try making this for my vegan friends!
This was very delicious when I made it, although it did not turn out to look like this.
I will make this for my family!
Great recipe you've created here. Hope I do that some other day!
Thanks for sharing this great tips, would love to make my own version of this cinnamon.
India Jewellery is all traditional with the touch of modernization, capturing the beauty of creativity from all periods.
To facilitate your task, we offer you bespoke jewellery at affordable rates.
Selling Gold is Simple!
These things are legit! My wife made them the other day after reading this and let me tell you... I was in heaven! Super delicious and I definitely asked her to make them again!
'Stick" isn't usually a word I'd find attractive in a food choice but in this case I can't wait to get my hands all sticky eating these. Thanks so much for this recipe as my grandma is switching to vegan like I did and cinnamon rolls are her fav'!
My kids lowe them, thanks!
These delicious cinnamon rolls are perfect pair for tea.
Great rolls. So healthy but not lol
It has been years that things are pleasurable for their side.
Tasted excellent and very crispy, made it for New Year and my friends absolutely loved them! :D
I had a bit of trouble with the cups measurement for choosing the quantity of flour for the dough, but ended up considering a cup=120 grams. Raisins were roasted a bit more and would suggest baking the walnuts and raisins separately, in order to control the baking time and later place them over the rolls and drizzle with the Vanilla icing.
View all my reviews (1)
i am not quite sure i understand step 10...if i preheat my oven to 400 with the rolls in a glass baking dish and cover them with plastic wrap, i am assuming i am suppose to keep them on the stove to rise as opposed to putting them in the hot oven where the plastic wrap will melt to the dough and ruin them. is this correct?
Pre made these on Christmas Eve and kept in fridge uncooked till the morning. They rose beautifully in the oven and had rave reviews from my vegan sisters, thanks bunches! Plus my meat/potatoes hubby gobbled them up too! Best breakfast ever!
View all my reviews (1)
BEST cin rolls I have EVER made, vegan or not. I combined steps 5 & 6 and after mixing vegan margarine with the other ingredients as listed, I put the flour in my bread machine, then the margarine/yeast etc mixture, then let the bread machine do the work. After it rose I continued with the recipe as written. PERFECT!!! Sharing this recipe with everyone!! Thanks!
Just made this delicious cinnamon buns and were a hit; my kids really loved them. Thank you for the recipe.
Just made these following step by step the recipe but the dough had a strange consistency, I couldn't even roll it.. I just ended up throwing everything into the baking dish with the filling (+ there wasn't enough of it) and I'll see how it will turn out when baked (I'm not expecting something crazy about it anyway because the dough didn't even rise so..)
I was expecting a lot from this recipe (I did the vegan butter this morning and it turned out very well) and I would have rather keeped the butter for something else..
It was not worth the effort and time
I was looking for an alternate for my "go to" roll recipe and wanting a softer dough than the one I currently use, but with all due respect, I was not impressed by this one. The dough was VERY dense, difficult to work with, and had an odd flavor to it. While I liked the idea of coconut oil in the icing, it too was a challenge to work with and became very hard and "crumbly" when cooled, causing it to fall off in chunks while eating the rolls. Even though I added the tapioca starch to the filling, it still seeped out everywhere and burned, leaving the rolls nearly void of any filling at all. The rolls themselves were not baked through (even after nearly 30 min. of baking), though the tops were beginning to burn. :(
And yes, I followed everything to the letter.
View all my reviews (1)
About to make...
Hi there! So excited to try this recipe- I will be making these for my 20-years-vegan boyfriend on Christmas morning. Is it possible to make the dough ahead of time and have it in the fridge overnight to save having to get up at 6am? If so, at what point do I stop and put the dough in the refrigerator? Thanks!!
holy mother of all that is cinnamon bun
THESE ARE DIVINE.
Just like non-vegan cinnamon sticky buns, but... way, way better. No one could tell they were vegan!
Instead of yeast: (cause I didn't have it) I used equal parts of baking soda and lemon juice to equal the amount of yeast needed.
(if you're gonna do it this way, make sure to add it in LAST to get the best results; plus using this method you don't need to leave the dough to rise, so yay to wayy less prep time!) and added the water that was supposed to go with the yeast.
Sticky cinnamon rolls
Mattie, thank you again for another fabulous recipe. This is the fourth recipe of yours I've tried. Of course they are delicious. Scarfed down two warm with the icing. So worth the effort. Thank you
LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!! :D
I used your AWESOME recipe for the most part as a guide (minor tweaks here and there) to make the most AMAZING cinnamon rolls ever. It was my four year olds first time eating sticky rolls (hes vegan since birth, and I haven't ever found ready-made cinnamon rolls before), and he absolutely LOVED them too!! :)
Thank you SOOOOOOO much for the recipe. If my tweaked recipe ever goes up on a blog (thats been a WIP for a while now), I will be sure to link back to you as my inspiration.
I followed your instructions to a tee and, voila, the outcome was just perfect! This is coming from the unluckiest baker in Canada, where everything always burns or tastes like crap. I served them to my dad this morning, and he said you couldn't get better chelsea buns from a bakery (and he's not one to sugar coat a compliment). These were truly perfect, in every way. Even my boyfriend, the devout non-vegan, loved them. There's no difference to non-vegan rolls.
And the flax meal... my gosh, what a great egg alternative. Thank you! A bit expensive, but you don't really need that much of it, so I'm happy.
Your website/blog (whichever) is awesome! I only discovered it yesterday, but I know I am going to come back again and again. Thank you!!
something went wrong?!
After reading a lot about Flax seeds and Vegan butter i decided to do these yummy looking treats with Flax meal and homemade vegan butter (based on your recipe).
i did everything exactly as you said but ended up with an extra firm dough which didn't "rise" at all.. is this ok? should i keep on backing or will it turn out hard as a rock?
THAT WAS SOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
That right there took about 3 hours but it sure was worth it! I think that the taste is better than any cinnamon rolls!