Scrumptious Vegan Scones
I thought I didn't like scones until my friend Debbie told me I just hadn't had the right scones. She explained to me that good scones feature a complex flavor and a dense, not too crumbly texture. I then began my journey to create vegan scones based on the teachings of this scone-ophile. The result is this Scrumptious Vegan Scones recipe. I used golden flax meal for its binding abilities, apple cider vinegar for it's subtle flavor complexity and ability to enhance crumb, just the right combination of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour and Vegan Butter to enhance buttery flavors. Finally, raisins or berries adds just the right amount of fruit flavor and sweetness while still allowing the rich, buttery flavors to come through. I'm now a self-described sconeophile and enjoy eating scones amongst other sconerati.
Find more Low-sugar recipes on Veganbaking.net
Scrumptious Vegan Scone Recipe¼ cup non-dairy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon golden flax meal
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup (108 grams) Regular Vegan Butter or margarine (1 stick. Not tub margarine)
¾ cup raisins or berries
½ cup non-dairy yogurt
¾ teaspoon sugar
1) Curdle your non-dairy milkPreheat your oven to 400F (204C). In a small bowl whisk together the non-dairy milk, apple cider vinegar and flax meal. Set aside for at about 10 minutes so the non-dairy milk curdles.
2) Mix your ingredients and cut the Vegan Butter into themIn a medium mixing bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Place the Vegan Butter on a cutting board and cut it into about ½ inch size cubes. Using a fork or hand-held pastry blender, cut the Vegan Butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse pea-sized crumbs. Take extra caution that you don't over mix. Stir in the raisins or berries.
3) Whisk the non-dairy yogurt with your curdled non-dairy milk mixtureIn a small bowl, whisk together the non-dairy yogurt and the non-dairy milk, apple cider vinegar mixture from Step 1.
4) Mix the doughUsing a spoon, stir the mixture from step 3 into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball. The dough will be sticky in places and there may not seem to be enough liquid at first, but as you press, the dough will come together.
5) Form your vegan scones and bake to perfectionPlace your ball of dough on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7 to 8 inch disc about 1 inch thick. Sprinkle the ¾ teaspoon of sugar evenly over the top of the dough. Use a knife to cut the dough crosswise into 8 triangles and place on a cookie sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. To serve the leftovers, broil on low for a few minutes to warm. This recipe makes 8 Scrumptious Vegan Scones.
Vegan Scone Recipe Variations
Cranberry Orange SconesFollow the recipe for Scones, adding a generous teaspoon of finely grated orange zest to the dry ingredients and substituting dried cranberries for the raisins.
Lemon Blueberry SconesFollow the recipe for Scones, adding a teaspoon of finely grated lemon zest to the dry ingredients and substituting blueberries for the raisins.
Get a price on the Baking Sheet I Recommend at Amazon.