Reviews written by vegantester
i'm planning on making this as one of many birthday dessert treats for my husband, but i have two questions:
1. would frozen raspberries be ok to use, in your opinion?
2. would 85% chocolate suffice?
i started buying hazelnut milk a few months ago, after noticing it at our local supermarket. it has a distinctive nutty flavour and is great on cereal - which is what i exclusively use it for - but not sure how it would go in any kind of baking. it's also pretty heavily sweetened, i think.
trader joe's sells a whole grain (oat, quinoa) milk, too, which isn't bad.
so i made these and they were great but they seemed a bit too cakey/dry and they didn't really look like the ones in the picture. still, we had no trouble demolishing the entire pan in about 36 hours!
i tried a second batch tonight with some adaptations and they came out just the way i love 'em:
- i halved the ingredients because the first batch came out about 2" tall in the 8 x 8" pan
- i lined the pan with tin foil instead of parchment
- i used 2 oz of chocolate chips instead of 1/2 oz
- i used 4 tbsp of earth balance
- i left out the egg replacer/flax (i actually intended to use it but forgot!)
- i baked them for 30 mins
by far the best brownies i've eaten - and so relieved to find a good vegan recipe that doesn't use applesauce (love applesauce on its own, hate it in cakes).