Vegan Sweet Potato Pecan Ice Cream
When this Vegan Sweet Potato Pecan Ice Cream recipe is mentioned to passerby one of two things usually happens: people either express great joy or wince and convulse. Sweet potatoes are pumpkin 2.0 people! They have a much more complex flavor than pumpkin so I just cut to the chase and paired them with candied pecans to make this vegan ice cream. You could substitute pumpkin purée if you really wanted to but it's not recommended unless you're stuck on a dessert island with nary a single sweet potato in sight.
Find more Sweet Potato recipes on Veganbaking.net
Vegan Sweet Potato Pecan Ice Cream Recipe½ cup Balsamic Candied Pecans
1 cup Vegan Cashew Cream or Vegan Soy Cream
1 cup sweet potato puree (about 2 medium jewel sweet potatoes)
½ cup non-dairy milk
¾ cup + 2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon barley malt syrup
1 Tablespoon arrowroot flour or tapioca flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cloves
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1) Prepare the candied pecans and non-dariy creamPrepare the Balsamic Candied Pecans and the Cashew Cream or Soy Cream and set aside.
2) Chop the sweet potatoes and bake themThoroughly peel the sweet potatoes and chop them into 1 inch square pieces. Place them in a baking dish and cover it with tin foil. Poke about six small slits in the tin foil to allow steam to escape while the sweet potatoes are baking. Bake at 400F (204C) for 40 minutes.
3) Purée the sweet potatoesRemove the sweet potatoes from the oven, allow to cool, then purée in a food processor for about one minute.
4) Simmer the ice cream ingredients then coolIn a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the Cashew Cream or Soy Cream, sweet potato purée, water, non-dairy milk, sugar, barley malt syrup, arrowroot flour or tapioca flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Bring the mixture to a simmer then remove from heat while whisking constantly. Whisk the mixture for an additional 5 minutes to make sure the sugar is completely dissolved. Transfer to a covered container and place in the refrigerator to cool for about two hours.
5) Process the vegan ice cream to perfectionStir in the vanilla extract and mix in an ice cream maker for about 30 minutes.
6) Mix in the candied pecans then transfer to the freezer to hardenMix the Balsamic Candied Pecans into the ice cream with a spoon. Transfer to a covered container and put it in the freezer for 3 hours.
This recipe makes about 1 quart of Vegan Sweet Potato Pecan Ice Cream.
Get a price on the Ice Cream Maker I Recommend at Amazon.
View all my reviews (1)
So so good. I used toasted walnut though.
Question: in the vanilla ice ream recipe on this site, they call for a wee splash of apple cider vinegar to round out the flavors. What do you think?
You could substitute the barley malt for a brown rice syrup though...
Not Gluten Free
Hello! This recipe looks delicious, but it is listed with the gluten free recipes, and due to the fact that it contains barley malt, it is not suitable for Celiac patients.