I used to own a vegan baking company called Enchanted Oven Baking Co. This Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookie was one of the cookies I sold, individually packaged, to health food stores around the San Francisco Bay Area around 2003-2005. Here it is in all its glory. This recipe has been modified from a 200 cookie batch so please excuse the wonky measurements.
Brown rice syrup, cinnamon, vanilla and just the right amount of chocolate chips really brings out the best in these dense, chewy peanut butter cookies.
Please Note: For best results it's crucial that this recipe is followed exactly.
Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe¾ cup water
3 Tablespoons Egg Replacer Powder
1 ½ cups + 1 Tablespoon sugar
2/3 cup canola oil
1 cup natural peanut butter, unsalted
1/3 cup brown rice syrup
1 ¾ teaspoons salt
1 ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¾ cup chocolate chips
2 ½ cups whole wheat flour (this may vary a little)
1 cup soy flour
¾ cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1) Preheat your oven and prepare your egg replacerPreheat the oven to 325F (163C). In a medium bowl whisk together the water and the Eggless Binder Powder.
2) Mix together the flavor building ingredientsIn a large mixing bowl, mix together the sugar, canola oil, peanut butter, brown rice syrup, salt, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Mix in the Eggless Binder Powder mixture until well incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips.
3) Whisk together the dry ingredientsIn another medium mixing bowl whisk together the whole wheat flour, soy flour, rolled oats and baking powder.
4) Build the cookie doughPour half of the dry ingredients into the bowl containing the wet ingredients and mix with a spoon until well incorporated. Add the remaining dry ingredients to the bowl containing the wet ingredients and mix as much as you can with the spoon. At this point the dough will be so thick you'll probably need to mix it with your hands. Do this until the dough is well mixed. Please note that the dough may have a bitter aftertaste due to the soy flour. This will burn off during baking.
5) Bake the vegan cookies to perfectionForm the mixture into 2 inch diameter balls (an ice cream scoop works well) and place on a cookie sheet that's lightly oiled or lined with parchment paper. Flatten the cookies down to ¾ inch height. The dough won't flatten out while baking. Bake for 30 minutes, switching the sheets on the oven racks after 15 minutes for even baking. The cookies are done when they start to turn golden.
These cookies are very sensitive to over baking. This recipe makes about 16 Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.