Vegan Maple Walnut Wonder Cookies
I used to own a vegan baking company called Enchanted Oven Baking Co. This Vegan Maple Walnut Wonder Cookie was one of the cookies I sold, individually packaged, to health food stores around the San Francisco Bay Area around 2003-2005. Here it is in all its glory. This recipe has been modified from a 200 cookie batch so please excuse the wonky measurements.
Maple syrup, rolled oats, cinnamon, vanilla and just the right amount of raisins and walnuts really bring out the best in these dense, chewy maple oatmeal cookies. Please Note: For best results it's crucial that this recipe is followed exactly.
Find more Maple recipes on Veganbaking.net
Vegan Maple Walnut Wonder Cookie Recipe¾ cup maple syrup
3 Tablespoons Egg Replacer Powder
1 cup sugar
1 cup Regular Vegan Butter or margarine, melted
¼ cup brown rice syrup
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
1 ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
¾ teaspoon salt
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup raisins
2 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
2 2/3 cups rolled oats
1 cup soy flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1) Whisk together the egg replacer mixturePreheat the oven to 325F (163C). In a medium bowl whisk together the maple syrup and the Eggless Binder Powder.
2) Mix the flavor building ingredientsIn a large mixing bowl mix the sugar, Vegan Butter, brown rice syrup, cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt. Mix in the Eggless Binder Powder mixture until well incorporated. Stir in the walnuts and raisins.
3) Whisk together the dry ingredientsIn another medium mixing bowl whisk together the whole wheat flour, rolled oats, soy flour and baking powder.
4) Build the cookie doughPour half of the dry ingredients into the bowl containing the wet ingredients and mix with a spoon until well incorporated. Add the remaining dry ingredients to the bowl containing the wet ingredients and mix as much as you can with the spoon. At this point the dough will be so thick you'll probably need to mix it with your hands. Do this until the dough is well mixed. Please note that the dough may have a bitter aftertaste due to the soy flour. This will burn off during baking.
5) Bake the vegan cookies to perfectionForm the mixture into 2 inch diameter balls (an ice cream scoop works well) and place on a cookie sheet that's lightly oiled or lined with parchment paper. Flatten the cookies down to ¾ inch height. Bake for 27 minutes, switching the sheets on the oven racks after 15 minutes for even baking. These cookies are done when they just start to turn color. Do not bake until golden brown.
These cookies are very sensitive to over baking. This recipe makes about 16 Vegan Maple Walnut Wonder Cookies.
Get a price on the Baking Sheet I Recommend at Amazon.