Vegan Coconut Mac Daddy Macaroons
I used to own a vegan baking company called Enchanted Oven Baking Co. This Coconut Mac Daddy Macaroon was one of the cookies I sold, individually packaged, to health food stores around the San Francisco Bay Area around 2003-2005. Here it is in all its glory. This recipe has been modified from a 200 cookie batch so please excuse the wonky measurements.
Brown rice syrup, coconut, vanilla extract and just the right amount of macadamia nuts really bring out the best in these dense, chewy coconut macaroons. Please Note: For best results it's crucial that this recipe is followed exactly.
Find more Coconut recipes on Veganbaking.net
Vegan Coconut Mac Daddy Macaroon Recipe¾ cup + 2 Tablespoons water
2 ½ Tablespoons Egg Replacer Powder
2 ¼ cups sugar
3 Tablespoons brown rice syrup
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
¾ teaspoon salt
¾ cup macadamia nuts, chopped
3 ¾ cups shredded coconut, unsweetened
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup soy flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1) Prepare the egg replacer mixturePreheat your oven to 325F (163C). In a medium bowl whisk together the water and the Eggless Binder Powder.
2) Mix together the coconut and other flavor building ingredientsIn a large mixing bowl, mix together the sugar, brown rice syrup, vanilla extract and salt. Mix in the Eggless Binder Powder mixture until well incorporated. Stir in the shredded coconut. Stir in the macadamia nuts.
3) Whisk together the dry ingredientsIn another medium mixing bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, soy flour and baking powder.
4) Build the doughPour half of the dry ingredients into the bowl containing the wet ingredients and mix with a spoon until well incorporated. Add the remaining dry ingredients to the bowl containing the wet ingredients and mix as much as you can with the spoon. At this point the dough will be so thick you'll probably need to mix it with your hands. Do this until the dough is well mixed. Please note that the dough may have a bitter aftertaste due to the soy flour. This will burn off during baking.
5) Bake the vegan macaroons to perfectionForm the mixture into 2 inch diameter balls (an ice cream scoop works well) and place on a cookie sheet that's lightly oiled or lined with parchment paper. Flatten the macaroons down to ¾ inch height. The dough won't flatten out while baking. Bake for 30 minutes, switching the sheets on the oven racks after 15 minutes for even baking. The macaroons are done when they just start to turn golden.
These cookies are very sensitive to over baking. This recipe makes about 16 Vegan Coconut Mac Daddy Macaroons.
Get a price on the Baking Sheet I Recommend at Amazon.