Vegan Cherry Almond Coffee Cake
Vegan Cherry Almond Coffee Cake Recipe1 ¼ cup cherry jam
1 ¼ cup slivered almonds
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup Regular Vegan Butter or margarine, softened
1 cup non-dairy yogurt
1 cup sugar
4 ½ Tablespoons arrowroot or tapioca flour
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1) Grease your baking dishPreheat your oven to 350F (177C). Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with vegetable oil or cooking spray.
2) Prepare the cherry almond toppingIn a medium bowl, mix together cherry jam, almonds and set aside.
3) Whisk together the dry ingredientsIn a large bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder and set aside.
4) Build the batterIn a large bowl, cream the soft Vegan Butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the non-dairy yogurt, then beat in the sugar, followed by beating in the arrowroot or tapioca flour. Stir in the vanilla and almond extract. By hand, fold in the flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated. Spread half of the batter into the baking dish then top with half of the cherry almond topping. Spread the other half of the batter into the baking dish, followed by the other half of the cherry almond topping.
5) Bake the vegan coffee cake to perfectionBake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Wait until cake is completely cooled if you're going to remove it from the baking dish. This recipe makes 1, 9 x 13 inch Vegan Cherry Almond Coffee Cake.
eh, it's good I guess
I generally try to stay away from recipes that rely on vegan butter/margarine, but decided to try a new coffee cake recipe. I will probably go back to my old one, though I enjoyed the experience.
I did have issues with whipping (via the electric mixer) the vegan butter, it just smeared (I used earth balance sticks). Once done and ready to eat, the dough is a tiny bit too gummy for my preference-- this all being said I am very picky about my baked goods/desserts (I am never satisfied) soooooo I am sure others would just absolutely love these.
ps- I made these into muffins instead of a cake, not sure how that affected my experience with these. They smell great and look so pretty.