This Vegan Apple Pecan Coffee Cake recipe is great for those afternoon tea sessions with your extremely friendly next door neighbors. No friendly next door neighbors? More for you then. This vegan coffee cake uses pecans, cinnamon, allspice and a touch of non-dairy yogurt to let the apples really shine.
Vegan Apple Pecan Coffee Cake Recipe
¾ cup sugar1 cup granny smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped into ¼ inch size pieces (about one apple)
1 ½ cup chopped pecans
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon allspice
2 Tablespoons Regular Vegan Butter or margarine, melted
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup Regular Vegan Butter or margarine, softened
1 cup non-dairy yogurt
1 cup sugar
4 ½ Tablespoons arrowroot or tapioca flour
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1) Prepare your baking dishPreheat oven to 350F (177C). Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with vegetable oil or cooking spray.
2) Prepare the apple pecan toppingIn a medium bowl, mix together the sugar, apple pieces, pecans, cinnamon, allspice and melted Vegan Butter until crumbly. Set aside.
3) Whisk together the dry ingredientsIn a large bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder and set aside.
4) Mix the doughIn a large bowl, cream the soft Vegan Butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in non-dairy yogurt, then beat in the sugar, followed by beating in the arrowroot or tapioca flour. Stir in the vanilla. By hand, fold in the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated. Spread half of the batter into the baking pan then top with half of the apple pecan topping. Spread the other half of the batter into the pan, followed by the other half of the apple pecan topping.
5) Bake the vegan coffee cake to perfectionBake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Wait until cake is completely cooled before removing it from the pan. Store in a covered container at room temperature for about 1 week or in a freezer bag in the freezer for up to 6 months. This recipe makes 1 Vegan Apple Pecan Coffee Cake.
Get a price on the 9 x 13 Inch Baking Dish I Recommend at Amazon.