Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking
Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking

Review Detail

Vegan Egg Replacer Recipes
Written by Mattie    
hi Mattie,

thanks for this recepie. I am trying to create a good eggless sponge for a bakery. would this powder work as a good substitute for egg. I am planning to replace egg with some skimmed milk powder, guar gum, GMS and some liquid glucose. I will appriciate if you have any tested ratio of additives you can provide me or a recepie or give any suggestions. Thanks in advance
varunous Reviewed by varunous November 29, 2013
Last updated: November 29, 2013
Top 500 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (1)

question

hi Mattie,

thanks for this recepie. I am trying to create a good eggless sponge for a bakery. would this powder work as a good substitute for egg. I am planning to replace egg with some skimmed milk powder, guar gum, GMS and some liquid glucose. I will appriciate if you have any tested ratio of additives you can provide me or a recepie or give any suggestions. Thanks in advance

Owner's reply

Hi Varunous! This egg replacer definitely won't hold a foam so it's not recommended for cakes. It's more of a structure builder in recipes where foams aren't used, such as cookies. If you're looking to build a foam, I recommend looking into xanthan gum and Versawhip 600k which is an enzymatically treated soy protein isolate. My guess is the enzymes denature the proteins, making them more likely to unfold and hold a foam during whipping.

GMS and liquid glucose are probably good choices. I recommend xanthan gum over guar gum because the xanthan will emulsify and hold air bubbles more effectively. Good luck!

Was this review helpful to you?