Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking
Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking

Review Detail

Vegan Yeasted Enriched Bread Recipes
Written by Mattie    
I had never made bread and researched various no knead wheat bread recipes before settling on this. Made it per the recipe except for substituting honey for the maple syrup. I left it in the refrigerator to rise and the dough didn't look any different than it did when I put it in. Let it rise at room temp after that and that didn't seem to make any difference. I thought the bread turned out really tasty and moist but it didn't make a tall enough loaf to use for sandwiches nor toast, Would you recommend using a bit more yeast?
Rating 

hawkeyemark Reviewed by hawkeyemark July 21, 2013
Top 500 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (1)

Dough didn't rise

I had never made bread and researched various no knead wheat bread recipes before settling on this. Made it per the recipe except for substituting honey for the maple syrup. I left it in the refrigerator to rise and the dough didn't look any different than it did when I put it in. Let it rise at room temp after that and that didn't seem to make any difference. I thought the bread turned out really tasty and moist but it didn't make a tall enough loaf to use for sandwiches nor toast, Would you recommend using a bit more yeast?

Owner's reply

Hi hawkeyemark! I apologize because I don't think I was clear enough in Step 3 where I explained what's called a "cold rest". I just completely re-wrote Step 3 to explain it more clearly and included how and why the cold rest method is an advantage. The main detail I originally left out is that after doing a cold rest, it can take as much as four hours at room temperature for your dough to double in size which is crucial. If you don't allow enough time, the yeast won't have enough time to "wake up" and become active to rise the dough. This is most likely what negatively affected your loaf.

Thanks so much for letting me know about this and I'm sorry your loaf didn't work out. Your feedback helps me improve my recipes so I can make them the best they can be. Thanks so much for sharing!

Was this review helpful to you?