Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking
Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking

Review Detail

Vegan Cookie Recipes
Written by Mattie    
These cookies are delicious! I baked them on Halloween to give to my friends' vegan daughter instead of candy, and she loved them! I do have a question, though. I've made them twice and they're very hard, very crunchy! Once you get past the crunch they're sort of chewy, but I wonder if I'm doing something wrong? I followed the recipe exactly EXCEPT I left cinnamon out, and replaced the molasses with maple syrup (same amount). Would any of that affect the chewiness? Thanks!
Chelly Reviewed by Chelly November 10, 2013
Last updated: November 10, 2013
Top 500 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (1)

These cookies are delicious! I baked them on Halloween to give to my friends' vegan daughter instead of candy, and she loved them! I do have a question, though. I've made them twice and they're very hard, very crunchy! Once you get past the crunch they're sort of chewy, but I wonder if I'm doing something wrong? I followed the recipe exactly EXCEPT I left cinnamon out, and replaced the molasses with maple syrup (same amount). Would any of that affect the chewiness? Thanks!

Owner's reply

Hi Chelly! Leaving the molasses out will definitely increase chewiness and dryness. The whole reason I use it in this recipe is for a more most, chewy interior and a tiny bit of flavor development in the background. I've found that lots of people leave it out when baking these cookies because they "don't like molasses" but it's not here for molasses flavor. Thick sweeteners like brown rice syrup, sorghum syrup and molasses have longer chains of sugar molecules that bind more aggressively to water which results in a more most and chewy dessert.

This is the same reason why some bakers call for brown sugar in their recipes. Brown sugar is just sugar with a little bit of molasses added.

So glad they worked out and thanks so much for sharing!

Was this review helpful to you?