This Hearty Vegan Breakfast Muffin recipe was created because I wanted a healthy, hearty vegan muffin that provided good energy for the first meal of the day without giving me a mega-dose of sugar like most other muffins often do. These fruit sweetened muffins contain no refined sugar, more protein, complex carbs and fiber than most other muffins because they feature ingredients like dates, raisins, walnuts, rolled oats, hemp protein powder or soy flour, maple syrup and molasses. These ingredients lend a delightfully complex taste and contribute to a dense hearty texture. They're easy to make and provide about one week of breakfasts. Try them topped with almond butter.
Hearty Vegan Breakfast Muffins Recipe1 cup + 1 Tablespoon non-dairy milk
2 Tablespoons golden flax meal
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans (¼ inch pieces)
½ cup chopped dates or figs (¼ inch pieces)
½ cup raisins
1 Tablespoon finely chopped ginger
1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup hemp protein powder or soy flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup canola oil
¼ cup brown maple syrup
1 Tablespoon molasses
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
1) Curdle the non-dairy milkPreheat oven to 325F (163C). In a medium bowl whisk together the non-dairy milk, golden flax meal and apple cider vinegar. Let it sit for about 10 minutes so the non-dairy milk curdles.
2) Chop the nuts, fruit and gingerChop the walnuts or pecans, dates or figs and ginger. Add them, along with the raisins, to a small bowl and set aside.
3) Whisk together the dry ingredientsIn a large mixing bowl whisk together the whole wheat flour, oats, hemp protein powder or soy flour, baking powder and baking soda.
4) Whisk together the flavor building ingredientsIn another large mixing bowl whisk together the canola oil, maple syrup, molasses, vanilla extract and salt. Now whisk in the non-dairy milk and flax mixture from Step 1.
5) Mix the doughPour the wet ingredients into the bowl containing the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Stir in the chopped walnuts or pecans, dates or figs, raisins and ginger.
6) Bake to perfection
Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. Pour the batter into the muffin pan making sure the dough is filled up to the top of the pan and domed. These muffins are extremely dense and don't rise much during baking so don't be afraid to really dome the batter. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
To make muffins
To make breadPour the batter into a lightly oiled 8 x 4 inch loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Store in a covered container or plastic freezer bag in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or the freezer for up to 6 months. This recipe makes one loaf or 6 to 8 Hearty Vegan Breakfast Muffins