Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking
Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking

Review Detail

Vegan Pie Recipes
Written by Mattie    
I'm approaching my third "birthday" as a vegan, and have used Crisco in the past for crusts, so veganizing them wasn't a problem. But though I am a darned good cook and pretty good baker, I've always struggled to get the crust right. My pies always taste great, but they are a pain in the patooty to work with. This pie crust is perfection! The dough is soft and malleable, and it rolls like a dream. I am in love. I made an apple pie for Thanksgiving to everyone's delight. I was ill over Christmas, so am repeating the apple pie now. Made the dough tonight and put it in the fridge to rest, will complete the rest in the morning. This is fantastic. I've never used vodka in a crust before, but it's genius. Thanks so much! I haven't tried the lattice, so can't comment on that, but I was thinking it would work great, because it is so easy to work with and doesn't break up like a lot of crusts. I used Earth Balance Soy Free and Spectrum Organic, non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening. The only thing I changed from the recipe is that Spectrum specifies to use the shortening at room temp, so I did and it worked great. Lovely. You have a new fan! Hmmm. So I'm trying to enter my Twitter name and it won't accept it as valid. ??? Anyway, it's @VeganInBloom
Rating 

Colette Reviewed by Colette January 01, 2014
Top 500 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (1)

Outstanding Crust

I'm approaching my third "birthday" as a vegan, and have used Crisco in the past for crusts, so veganizing them wasn't a problem. But though I am a darned good cook and pretty good baker, I've always struggled to get the crust right. My pies always taste great, but they are a pain in the patooty to work with. This pie crust is perfection! The dough is soft and malleable, and it rolls like a dream. I am in love. I made an apple pie for Thanksgiving to everyone's delight. I was ill over Christmas, so am repeating the apple pie now. Made the dough tonight and put it in the fridge to rest, will complete the rest in the morning. This is fantastic. I've never used vodka in a crust before, but it's genius. Thanks so much! I haven't tried the lattice, so can't comment on that, but I was thinking it would work great, because it is so easy to work with and doesn't break up like a lot of crusts. I used Earth Balance Soy Free and Spectrum Organic, non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening. The only thing I changed from the recipe is that Spectrum specifies to use the shortening at room temp, so I did and it worked great. Lovely. You have a new fan! Hmmm. So I'm trying to enter my Twitter name and it won't accept it as valid. ??? Anyway, it's @VeganInBloom

Owner's reply

So glad you like the crust Colette! That's interesting that Spectrum recommends room temperature shortening.

Was this review helpful to you?