Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking
Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking

Review Detail

Vegan Pastry Recipes
Written by Mattie    
These sure looked magnificent, but I was disappointed in a couple of aspects. The dough is excellent. When I made the filling, there was nowhere near enough to cover the rectangle. (I was following your instructions precisely, so I measured the dough to 16x20) My solution was to bulk it up with more 'butter.' I also added more cinnamon, 2.5 tsp seemed light. I carefully covered the surface, though I recommend using a rubber scraper or an offset spatula rather than spoon. Anyhooo. I baked them in a metal pan lined with a silicone sheet. I usually stay away from glass as it's a poor conductor of heat, and I wasn't worried about even cooking because I was using the convection setting in my oven. They came out looking incredible. I used a reduced amount of coconut oil in the frosting (I was low having just made some vegan butter :) ) and was glad of that because I prefer a less viscous result from using just the milk.
The thing was, when we dug into them, there was virtually no filling inside. It had either been absorbed somehow or leached out. There were in fact puddles of caramel on the silicone sheet. That said, my husband thought they were delicious, and they were really good. Next time I think I would actually cut back on the butter in the filling. Do you think that might keep the filling from sliding out?
Thanks!
Rating 

andreanewengland Reviewed by andreanewengland March 11, 2012
Top 50 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (2)

Slightly disappointed

These sure looked magnificent, but I was disappointed in a couple of aspects. The dough is excellent. When I made the filling, there was nowhere near enough to cover the rectangle. (I was following your instructions precisely, so I measured the dough to 16x20) My solution was to bulk it up with more 'butter.' I also added more cinnamon, 2.5 tsp seemed light. I carefully covered the surface, though I recommend using a rubber scraper or an offset spatula rather than spoon. Anyhooo. I baked them in a metal pan lined with a silicone sheet. I usually stay away from glass as it's a poor conductor of heat, and I wasn't worried about even cooking because I was using the convection setting in my oven. They came out looking incredible. I used a reduced amount of coconut oil in the frosting (I was low having just made some vegan butter :) ) and was glad of that because I prefer a less viscous result from using just the milk.
The thing was, when we dug into them, there was virtually no filling inside. It had either been absorbed somehow or leached out. There were in fact puddles of caramel on the silicone sheet. That said, my husband thought they were delicious, and they were really good. Next time I think I would actually cut back on the butter in the filling. Do you think that might keep the filling from sliding out?
Thanks!

Owner's reply

Thanks so much for your input Andrea! I've updated the recipe to call for a dough scraper or spatula to spread the filling onto the dough because it would work better than the back of a spoon.

The filling is on the scant side of things in these cinnamon rolls because if you add more it tends to do exactly what happened in your experience- to drain out during baking and caramelize at the bottom of the pan, gluing the cinnamon rolls to the bottom (in the absence of a silicone baking mat of course). I'll definitely make these again and see if I can increase the filling to the point of where the maximum amount can be added before it drains out. I'm having the exact same issue on a sticky bun recipe I'm currently working on.

Perhaps adding something in the filling such as arrowroot or tapioca starch would thicken it up during baking before it can slide out? If you get a chance to play with this before I do, please report back with your results! My goal is to make this Cinnamon Roll recipe the best, this side of vegan!

Thanks again for taking the time to write such a detailed review!

Was this review helpful to you?