Review Detail

Vegan Ice Cream Recipes
by Mattie    

Cashew butter and apple syrup

Hi Mattie, greetings from France!

I just invested in a Kenwood Chef with an ice cream maker attachment, and am looking forward to trying this recipe. Here in France we have cashew butter, which consists of only puréed cashews, and is nice and smooth. Have you ever tried anything like this, or do you have any idea of the quantity of cashew butter I should use to replace the nuts? If not, I'll try it with say 1/2 cup, adjust the liquid, and let you know my results.

Also, I have some apple concentrate syrup on hand. Have you ever used this? It is nice and sweet, but may give a little acidity, so I might reduce or omit the vinegar. What do you think?

I just discovered your wonderful site, and am looking forward to looking around it! Many thanks!

Owner's reply

Great ice cream ideas chilepepper! I've used cashew butter in the past, but the issue is that most of it found in grocery stores in the US is roasted, which lends only what I can describe as "pet" flavor and aroma to desserts made with it. Ice cream that smells like your pet dog? Not very appetizing! Unroasted cashew butter is almost impossible to find so it's easier to just call for pureeing cashews. If you can find unroasted cashew butter, go for it! It's one less step you'll need to worry about.

Regarding apple juice concentrate, I've found that it has an extremely high concentration of malic acid. Malic acid is a very sharp/harsh acid that can clash with many foods, especially desserts. White grape juice concentrate has a softer acid profile but is much harder to find. Sweetness actually goes through what I refer to as a "flavor path" as it's perceived on your palate from start to finish. I've found that plain 'ol sugar tends to have the most full, long lasting flavor path so that's why I recommend it over other sweeteners. Good luck!

Was this review helpful to you?