Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking
Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking

Review Detail

Hi, thanks so much for this wonderful recipe and your detailed explanations. I'm wondering will I be able to achieve the same outcome as the original recipe if certain were substituted? For example will Flax oil work instead of the oils you have listed, and instead of using lecithin will psyllium work to achieve the same consistency; as this too is an emulsifier?
Reviewed by Mariley_224 February 26, 2014

Substitutes?

Hi, thanks so much for this wonderful recipe and your detailed explanations. I'm wondering will I be able to achieve the same outcome as the original recipe if certain were substituted? For example will Flax oil work instead of the oils you have listed, and instead of using lecithin will psyllium work to achieve the same consistency; as this too is an emulsifier?

Owner's reply

Hi Mariley! Flax oil definitely won't work because it solidifies at a different temperature. It also has a considerable off-flavor that would likely clash with butter flavors. Other commenters have had luck with psyllium husks, although I don't believe it's an emulsifier. Good luck!

Was this review helpful to you?