Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking
Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking

Review Detail

Hi again, I commented a few weeks ago about the lecithin granules vs. powder. To update, I did find granules to compare, and my version is definitely more powder-like. The recipe worked great and has a nice taste, though I didn't see any visible curdling of the soy milk for some reason. I can only comment on the "soft" version as I have a pile of Earth Balance that I stocked up on when it was on sale to use up first for baking. I subbed 2 Tbsp of coconut oil with liquid oil, but it was still pretty rock hard when kept in the fridge... next time I'm going to try a whole 1/4 cup of liquid oil and see what happens. I guess I'm too used to vegan Becel :)

On to my question: I made this on March 20th and have used about 3/4 of it since. I haven't opened it in probably close to a week, but this morning I noticed there were several dots of green mold. I'm pretty good about using a clean knife in things that could spoil, so I don't believe it was that. The soy milk I used was just opened for this purpose. I was wondering if you had any insight as to why this would have gone bad after only a couple of weeks, and perhaps some ideas for preservation of the soft version since it's kept in the fridge. Thank you!
Reviewed by Sarah April 06, 2013

Mold problem

Hi again, I commented a few weeks ago about the lecithin granules vs. powder. To update, I did find granules to compare, and my version is definitely more powder-like. The recipe worked great and has a nice taste, though I didn't see any visible curdling of the soy milk for some reason. I can only comment on the "soft" version as I have a pile of Earth Balance that I stocked up on when it was on sale to use up first for baking. I subbed 2 Tbsp of coconut oil with liquid oil, but it was still pretty rock hard when kept in the fridge... next time I'm going to try a whole 1/4 cup of liquid oil and see what happens. I guess I'm too used to vegan Becel :)

On to my question: I made this on March 20th and have used about 3/4 of it since. I haven't opened it in probably close to a week, but this morning I noticed there were several dots of green mold. I'm pretty good about using a clean knife in things that could spoil, so I don't believe it was that. The soy milk I used was just opened for this purpose. I was wondering if you had any insight as to why this would have gone bad after only a couple of weeks, and perhaps some ideas for preservation of the soft version since it's kept in the fridge. Thank you!

Owner's reply

Hi Sarah,

The moldy sides can be sliced off and discarded just as with cheese. Was the Vegan Butter stored in a clean airtight container? I noticed that when I used to store it in a non airtight glass butter container it would start to mold in about two weeks. I then started storing it in an airtight container and now I get about 3 to 4 weeks out of it. I've experimented with adding natural preservatives such as ascorbic acid and although it works to preserve, unfortunately it negatively affects flavor. Currently, I make large amounts and store most of it in the freezer. I take whatever I'm going to use in about 3 to 4 weeks and place it in the refrigerator in the airtight container as needed. Hope this helps!

Was this review helpful to you?