Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking
Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking

Review Detail

Vegan Sponge Cake Recipes
Written by Mattie    
I can only give it a 3 based on my changes, so maybe not a fair score for the white cake. I made it Lemon Cake by using lemon juice in place of vinegar, which was fine. I used a teaspoon+ of lemon extract for the extracts. They say on the bottle to be careful because it's so concentrated. But it was only vaguely lemony. The cake itself was rather heavy or dense. But at least it didn't crumble like some vegan cakes. It was an extremely thick batter. For my second layer (see below), I added a bit of water to the batter. So maybe altering this recipe was not the best way to make a lemon cake. I'll try it again as a white cake sometime!

I want to emphasize that this makes one layer, which I wouldn't actually call a "cake." I didn't notice that (my bad), so once I realized it, I just went ahead and finished the one layer and started over to make another one so I'd have an entire layer cake. Not a huge problem since all the ingredients and cups were still out.
Rating 

andreanewengland Reviewed by andreanewengland April 25, 2012
Top 50 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (2)

Double it!

I can only give it a 3 based on my changes, so maybe not a fair score for the white cake. I made it Lemon Cake by using lemon juice in place of vinegar, which was fine. I used a teaspoon+ of lemon extract for the extracts. They say on the bottle to be careful because it's so concentrated. But it was only vaguely lemony. The cake itself was rather heavy or dense. But at least it didn't crumble like some vegan cakes. It was an extremely thick batter. For my second layer (see below), I added a bit of water to the batter. So maybe altering this recipe was not the best way to make a lemon cake. I'll try it again as a white cake sometime!

I want to emphasize that this makes one layer, which I wouldn't actually call a "cake." I didn't notice that (my bad), so once I realized it, I just went ahead and finished the one layer and started over to make another one so I'd have an entire layer cake. Not a huge problem since all the ingredients and cups were still out.

Owner's reply

Thanks for your detailed input andreanewengland! I just updated the recipe to be more clear that it makes one 8 inch round.

Was this review helpful to you?