Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking
Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking

Review Detail

Vegan Frosting Recipes
Written by Mattie    
Nice job yet again, Mattie!! My ladypal just baked me some cupcakes last night using this icing. She is a vegan baking novice and pulled it off without a hitch (nor a candy thermometer)!

Though great, I found this recipe to be a bit sweet for my tastes. I am wondering what you might recommend if I wanted to cut down on sugar? Not sure it would still be structurally sound if I reduced the sugar or not. I've tried cooked (vegan) buttercreams made with tapioca or corn starch before but they always turned out like watery slop (though I may have overcooked the starch...who knows). Anyway, any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you so much and keep up the good work!!!!
Rating 

HayGurlHayCafe Reviewed by HayGurlHayCafe March 14, 2013
Top 50 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (2)

you've done it again, Mattie

Nice job yet again, Mattie!! My ladypal just baked me some cupcakes last night using this icing. She is a vegan baking novice and pulled it off without a hitch (nor a candy thermometer)!

Though great, I found this recipe to be a bit sweet for my tastes. I am wondering what you might recommend if I wanted to cut down on sugar? Not sure it would still be structurally sound if I reduced the sugar or not. I've tried cooked (vegan) buttercreams made with tapioca or corn starch before but they always turned out like watery slop (though I may have overcooked the starch...who knows). Anyway, any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you so much and keep up the good work!!!!

Owner's reply

So glad you liked it HayGurlHayCafe! I'm actually revisiting all my frosting recipes that utilize this method. I'd like to replace the soy milk powder with a starch and allow the sweetness to be decreased too. I also think the use of soy milk powder has introduced some inconsistent results for other bakers. In regards to starch, I know what you mean! I'm going to try to use just enough so it can displace sugar without adding a gummy consistency. I'll be sure to update the recipes when I've figured it out. Thanks so much for your feedback!

Was this review helpful to you?