Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking
Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking

Review Detail

Vegan Pancake Recipes
Written by Mattie    
I just made these sourdough pancakes last night for dinner and they were AMAZING! By far the best pancakes I've ever made. I didn't have any baking soda on hand though, so I used 2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder instead. I also omitted the oil and sugar and added one large ripe banana cut up into small chunks, 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and about a 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg. Banana Eggnog Pancakes from theppk.com site (totally recommend checking it out!) is usually my go to recipe for pancakes. This was the prefect hybrid recipe I was longing for to use half of my starter. The sprouted whole wheat flour I have been using to make my starter for bread making was growing with each feeding faster than I could use it to make bread alone, and I refuse to waste it by discarding half of it down the drain like so many say to do. This is the perfect solution, make pancakes! I will be making pizza dough next with my excess starter.
I love your site Mattie. It is a wonderful resource that I am ever grateful I found. Keep up the great work! :) YOU ROCK! Thank you so much for having such an extensive plethora of vegan recipes to refer to that really go in depth to explain how it all works. It has helped me build my confidence tremendously in my new found vegan cooking/baking, sprouting and fermenting over the past few months.
Rating 

mnau Reviewed by mnau March 07, 2014
Top 100 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (1)

Vegan Sourdough Pancakes

I just made these sourdough pancakes last night for dinner and they were AMAZING! By far the best pancakes I've ever made. I didn't have any baking soda on hand though, so I used 2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder instead. I also omitted the oil and sugar and added one large ripe banana cut up into small chunks, 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and about a 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg. Banana Eggnog Pancakes from theppk.com site (totally recommend checking it out!) is usually my go to recipe for pancakes. This was the prefect hybrid recipe I was longing for to use half of my starter. The sprouted whole wheat flour I have been using to make my starter for bread making was growing with each feeding faster than I could use it to make bread alone, and I refuse to waste it by discarding half of it down the drain like so many say to do. This is the perfect solution, make pancakes! I will be making pizza dough next with my excess starter.
I love your site Mattie. It is a wonderful resource that I am ever grateful I found. Keep up the great work! :) YOU ROCK! Thank you so much for having such an extensive plethora of vegan recipes to refer to that really go in depth to explain how it all works. It has helped me build my confidence tremendously in my new found vegan cooking/baking, sprouting and fermenting over the past few months.

Owner's reply

So glad the sourdough pancakes worked so well for you mnau! That reminds me that I need to get back into the "sourdough game" and have my own pet starter. My sourdough recipes were developed when I was trying to figure out what the heck to do with all my extra starter! There are laws in some states stating that you can't throw it out! (That's a lie, but there should be) Someone should start a blog called whattodowithyourextrasourdoughstarter.com. Maybe shorten it to something funny.

I love your sourdough pancake variation! I bet the sourness and the bananas and nutmeg were amazing! Oh yes, the PPK is awesome.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm really honored to have helped you gain confidence in the kitchen! Here's to more wacky, sprouted fermentations.

Was this review helpful to you?