Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking
Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking

Review Detail

Vegan Hearth Bread Recipes
Written by Mattie    
Hi Mattie,

the bread sounds so yummo! Is a loaf form really required or could I just roll it up and put it on a baking tray?

Also if I don't have a thermometer, can I just take it out after 45 Mins or test it with a cake tester?

Looking forward to your reply to go and try it out!
Cheers
Raspberry
Raspberry Reviewed by Raspberry April 10, 2013
Top 500 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (1)

Hi Mattie,

the bread sounds so yummo! Is a loaf form really required or could I just roll it up and put it on a baking tray?

Also if I don't have a thermometer, can I just take it out after 45 Mins or test it with a cake tester?

Looking forward to your reply to go and try it out!
Cheers
Raspberry

Owner's reply

Hi Raspberry! The dough is really moist to ensure the load is springy. This moistness makes it unsuitable for baking without a loaf pan. If you attempted to bake it hearth style it would spread out too much. You could experiment with reducing the water content but it might take you a few tries to get it right.

Regarding baking time, if I don't have a thermometer I'll bake it until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped with a blunt object such as a rolling pin. I'm going to update the recipe to reflect that. A cake tester is usually not suitable for breads because it will show no crumbs even when the bread needs to be baked longer. Good luck!

Was this review helpful to you?