Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking
Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking

Review Detail

Vegan Pastry Recipes
Written by Mattie    
Thank you for this fantastic recipe!

I subbed 1.5 c of whole wheat flour, 2 tsp instant yeast, and skipped the raisins. Next time I will increase the cinnamon in the filling, too. I used the exact rise times although maybe with instant yeast I could have shortened them.

The rolls didn't seem done at 15 minutes and even at a little over 20 minutes when I took them out, I didn't see much browning (maybe because ww flour was more brown to begin with), but they are definitely done - next time I will take them out at 18 minutes. The walnuts on top got a lovely toasty flavor. My filling also ran out and covered the bottom of my dish, but the rolls still taste great! I just bookmark recipes I like, so if you find that tapioca or something keeps the filling from running out, I'll use your updated recipe.

My husband kept asking when they would be done - and I really hoped after what was a long time on a recipe for me that they would be worth it... and they really are!!!!!

Thanks again Mattie!
Rating 

GreenTrees Reviewed by GreenTrees June 10, 2013
Top 500 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (1)

Thank you, worth the wait!!!

Thank you for this fantastic recipe!

I subbed 1.5 c of whole wheat flour, 2 tsp instant yeast, and skipped the raisins. Next time I will increase the cinnamon in the filling, too. I used the exact rise times although maybe with instant yeast I could have shortened them.

The rolls didn't seem done at 15 minutes and even at a little over 20 minutes when I took them out, I didn't see much browning (maybe because ww flour was more brown to begin with), but they are definitely done - next time I will take them out at 18 minutes. The walnuts on top got a lovely toasty flavor. My filling also ran out and covered the bottom of my dish, but the rolls still taste great! I just bookmark recipes I like, so if you find that tapioca or something keeps the filling from running out, I'll use your updated recipe.

My husband kept asking when they would be done - and I really hoped after what was a long time on a recipe for me that they would be worth it... and they really are!!!!!

Thanks again Mattie!

Owner's reply

Thanks so much GreenTrees! I suspect the filling slipped out during the additional 5 minutes of baking. Great idea to add some tapioca starch to the filling to keep this from happening in the future! If this proves to be an issue for you or future bakers, feel free to mix perhaps 1 teaspoon tapioca flour into the filling mixture. If it proves to be successful for people I may update the recipe.

In the meantime, I've updated the recipe to bake until "just starting to turn golden", instead of "golden brown" which is what was stated previously. Thanks so much for your feedback!

Was this review helpful to you?