Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking
Veganbaking.net - The Hows and Whys of Vegan Baking

Review Detail

Vegan Butter Recipes
Written by Mattie    
Would this recipe have the same result if I substituted coconut milk for the soy milk? Should I use the whole fat canned coconut milk or could I use the coconut milk in the tetra cartons? Thanks for your help. I am excited to try this in my Vitamix!
jsmith Reviewed by jsmith June 10, 2013
Top 500 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (1)

Substitute Coconut Milk

Would this recipe have the same result if I substituted coconut milk for the soy milk? Should I use the whole fat canned coconut milk or could I use the coconut milk in the tetra cartons? Thanks for your help. I am excited to try this in my Vitamix!

Owner's reply

Hi jsmith! Coconut Vegan Butter would have a slightly different taste if it was made with coconut milk. This is because the acid in the recipe curdles the protein in the soy milk and produces butter flavors (probably diacetyl, among others) as part of a chemical reaction. Since coconut milk contains only a miniscule amount of protein, these flavors would not be produced and the flavor is less buttery.

If you still want to make a truly soy-free vegan butter and a lack of buttery flavor isn't a concern, I'd recommend using light coconut milk from the can, shaken at room temperature before using to make sure it's mixed before you measure it. I find the coconut milks that come in the cartons to basically be "white water" and usually don't offer anything significant to flavor, texture or anything else. You should be able to do a one-to-one substitution of light coconut milk for soy milk. Good luck and let me know how it turns out!

Was this review helpful to you?