Rolling pins come in two distinct types: A Rod which is a one-piece cylindrical piece of wood that's tapered on the ends. Rods are popular in French and East Asian kitchens. Rods have more maneuverability but less leverage for flattening dough. A Roller is a cylindrical piece of wood that is the same thickness throughout it's length. It has handles on each side that go through the length of the cylindrical piece of wood. Rollers are popular in western kitchens and they offer slightly more leverage for flattening dough but less control.