Chopped apples lightly caramelized in Vegan Butter with cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice help make this Vegan Apple Spice Pancake recipe become part of an unforgettable breakfast. Especially when these vegan pancakes are topped with maple syrup and/or a touch of almond butter.
Vegan Apple Spice Pancakes Recipe2 1/3 cups non-dairy milk
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon golden flax meal
1 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup oat bran, wheat bran or wheat germ
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 ½ cups Granny Smith apples or other apple varieties suitable for baking, chopped into ¼ inch cubes (about 2 to 3 apples)
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon Regular Vegan Butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon allspice
1 pinch salt
1/3 cup canola oil
1) Curdle the non-dairy milkIn a medium bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract and flax meal. Let it sit for about 10 minutes so the non-dairy milk curdles.
2) Whisk together the dry ingredientsIn a large bowl whisk together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3) Sauté the apple mixtureIn a medium frying pan or wok, add the apples, sugar, Vegan Butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Sauté on medium heat for 10 minutes. Set aside.
4) Mix the batterWhisk the canola oil into the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar from Step 1 then whisk the mixture into the large bowl containing the flour mixture and mix until fully incorporated. Stir in the apple pieces.
5) Bake the vegan pancakes to perfectionGrease a griddle or a large iron skillet with canola oil. If you're using a non-stick surface forego the greasing process. The surface is ready for pancakes when water flicked on it sizzles. Using a ladle, drop about 1/3 cup of batter to form a pancake. When small bubbles appear, flip the pancake with a spatula. A thin steel spatula with a large surface area works well. Let the pancakes cook for at least another 2 minutes on the other side or until golden. Do not press down on pancakes with the spatula.
Pancakes keep for up to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge and can be easily heated in a toaster.
This recipe makes about 12 Vegan Apple Spice Pancakes.