Pumpkin purée gives this Vegan Pumpkin Gingerbread Cookie recipe extra Halloween street cred. These cookies also pack a combination of barley malt syrup and molasses enhanced with ginger, nutmeg, cloves and just the right amount of vanilla extract for a scary good flavor.
Find more Gingerbread recipes on Veganbaking.net
Vegan Pumpkin Gingerbread Cookies Recipe3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup sugar
¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon (67 grams) Regular Vegan Butter or non-hydrogenated stick margarine, softened
¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon pumpkin purée
½ cup molasses
¼ cup barley malt syrup
1 ½ teaspoons ginger powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
¾ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cloves
1) Whisk together the dry ingredientsPreheat oven to 350F (177C). In a medium size bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour and baking soda. Set aside.
2) Whisk together the wet ingredientsIn another medium size bowl mix together the sugar, Vegan Butter, pumpkin purée, molasses, barley malt syrup, ginger powder, salt, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
3) Mix the vegan gingerbread doughPour half of the flour into the bowl containing the wet ingredients and mix with a spoon until well incorporated. Pour the other half of the flour and mix with with a spoon until well incorporated. It's normal for the dough to feel really thick at this point and you may have to mix with your hands.
4) Roll the dough and cut the cookiesLightly dust a silicone baking mat or pastry cloth with flour. Form the dough into a ball and roll into a 1/3 inch thick flat disc. Use a cookie cutter to cut the dough into shape and put the cookies on a lightly oiled or parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Be sure to dust your baking mat or pastry cloth and rolling pin with flour every time you regather the dough into a ball and roll it out again. Lightly dusting a spatula and sliding it under the dough after you cut it with the cutter will help you lift the cookie and transfer it to the cookie sheet.
5) Bake the vegan gingerbread cookies to perfectionBake for 17 minutes. If using two cookie sheets, switch the sheets on the oven racks halfway through the baking time to ensure that the cookies are evenly cooked.
Depending on the size of your cookie cutter, this recipe makes about 15 Vegan Pumpkin Gingerbread Cookies.
Get a price on the Baking Sheet I Recommend at Amazon.
Average user rating from: 2 user(s)
Easy to roll out
These were great to roll out. Mine were baked in about 10 minutes, so check before the recommended 17 minutes. Next time, I am going to add a bit more spice.
View all my reviews (1)
These are super good. Wish they had a little more pumpkin flavor but they're better than regular gingerbread cookies due to the subtle pumpkin flavor that they do have.